Home | About Leighton | Rhondda map | Rhondda links | Advice surgeries | Get in touch | Cymraeg

Leighton's Updates

Leighton
    follow me on Twitter

    11 July, 2005

    Cultural Identities

    One of the things I do in my spare time is act as an Honorary Professor at Cardiff University's School of Journalism, Media and Cultural Studies, where I was briefly a lecturer before my election. I am not a journalist, nor would claim ever to have been one. I lectured post-grad students on subjects like Political Communication, Global Media, the making of media policy, and the relationship between the media and identities.

    Last week some journalists from a number of overseas countries, including Belgium, Egypt, Macedonia, Malaysia,Turkey,Poland,Nigeria, Russia and Slovenia came to Cardiff, then went to Llangollen, on a British Council visit, where they were exploring issues of Multiculturalism of the UK and Welsh society. It was of course an extraordinary week for them to come, encompassing Live8, the G8, the Olympic success and the appalling events of last Thursday.

    I lectured to them - not my choice of title, on Wales in the UK. Devolution. Plural Politics and the Journalism of Respect. Essentially my focus was on the complexity of cultural identity. The lecture is attached.

    Download british_council_lecture_final.doc

    Rhondda TV
    The Labour Party

    Recent comments

    Archives...

    Categories...

    Promoted by Leighton Andrews AM, National Assembly for Wales, Cardiff CF99 1NA.

    Author's editorial policy: This blog does not publish anonymous comments, unless they are really witty and I like them. If you have something to say, then have the courage of your convictions and use your name or an identifiable alias. Even then I reserve the right not to publish comments that are malicious, defamatory, stupid, pointlessly cynical or boring. Any of the statements or comments made above should be regarded as personal and not necessarily those of the National Assembly for Wales, any constituent part or connected body.