Home | About Leighton | Rhondda map | Rhondda links | Advice surgeries | Get in touch | Cymraeg

Leighton's Updates

Leighton
    follow me on Twitter

    07 July, 2005

    In solidarity with London

    We've been watching the news all morning. I eventually got through to my brother who was in his flat in Bloomsbury, down the road from Tavistock Square, and he's fine. Also spoken to some friends. This time last week I was back in London on a few day's holiday. I lived and/or worked there during the eighties until the mid-nineties of course, and continued to work there until 2002 during the week while living in Cardiff the rest of the week. I remember how eerie it was in London on the night of September 11 2001.

    Londoners - everyone who lives in London, I mean - will not let this stop them going about their normal business. In the 80s and early 90s we had occasional IRA bombs - usually, of course, there were warnings with those, but not always. There was a period I lived outside London but worked in London, and I can remember arriving in Victoria, getting to the office then finding an IRA bomb had gone off shortly after where I had been, which prompted calls from friends.

    Norm has a good summary of the news. The Guardian is carrying people's accounts. The BBC has eyewitness accounts, and a reporters' log.

    Jo Salmon has a round-up of the international coverage.

    Rhondda TV
    The Labour Party

    Recent comments

    Archives...

    Categories...

    Promoted by Leighton Andrews AM, National Assembly for Wales, Cardiff CF99 1NA.

    Author's editorial policy: This blog does not publish anonymous comments, unless they are really witty and I like them. If you have something to say, then have the courage of your convictions and use your name or an identifiable alias. Even then I reserve the right not to publish comments that are malicious, defamatory, stupid, pointlessly cynical or boring. Any of the statements or comments made above should be regarded as personal and not necessarily those of the National Assembly for Wales, any constituent part or connected body.