Home | About Leighton | Rhondda map | Rhondda links | Advice surgeries | Get in touch | Cymraeg

Leighton's Updates

Leighton
    follow me on Twitter

    22 February, 2006

    Assembly Diary

    Next week, the Queen will open the new Assembly Building . I don’t agree with those who object to this. The Queen is the Head of State, and it is entirely right that she should be invited to open the new Building. I will be attending the opening.

    The new building is magnificent, architecturally, and I know that many people in the Rhondda
    have already been to see it. Organisations such as schools or pensioner groups are very welcome to come to Cardiff and see it for themselves. Just contact Ceri in my office on 682550 and we will be happy to help with arrangements….

    I have been appointed to a new committee in the Assembly which is looking at the state of rail services in Wales. Our first meeting last week coincided with news that the Assembly is investing money in the Treherbert line for station improvements, which should ensure over a period of time that stations are able to take six-car trains. Last week Arriva Trains came to give evidence. I questioned them on a number of issues which have been raised with me by constituents. I have also prepared a report on my meeting with Arriva Trains in January which is available from my office. Again, phone us on 682550, or write to me at 5 Cemetery Rd., Porth, CF39 0LG or send me an email at leighton.andrews@wales.gov.uk. Our committee will report in March, just before the Assembly gets responsibility for managing the contract for the Welsh rail franchise….

    I am always keen that we try to promote and preserve our history in the Rhondda. There have been a series of excellent initiatives by local organisations recently, like the Home Front DVD about the Second World War produced by the Ark Project, along with the staff and pupils of Porth Community School, Tonypandy Community College, and the Communities First partnerships of Cymmer, Llwynypia, Trealaw and Ynyshir and Wattstown. We have a number of active local history societies, and it was good to see such a large turn-out at the Parc and Dare for the recent screening of The Long Street. We should shortly see the report from the consultants appointed to look at possible uses for the Powerhouse as well. More on this in due course.

    Rhondda TV
    The Labour Party

    Recent comments

    Archives...

    Categories...

    Promoted by Leighton Andrews AM, National Assembly for Wales, Cardiff CF99 1NA.

    Author's editorial policy: This blog does not publish anonymous comments, unless they are really witty and I like them. If you have something to say, then have the courage of your convictions and use your name or an identifiable alias. Even then I reserve the right not to publish comments that are malicious, defamatory, stupid, pointlessly cynical or boring. Any of the statements or comments made above should be regarded as personal and not necessarily those of the National Assembly for Wales, any constituent part or connected body.