Home | About Leighton | Rhondda map | Rhondda links | Advice surgeries | Get in touch | Cymraeg

Leighton's Updates

Leighton
    follow me on Twitter

    14 April, 2007

    GTFM

    As I have said before, the community radio station GTFM is expanding with satellite bases in Penrhys and Treherbert, which I was pleased to welcome in questions to Rhodri Morgan yesterday:

    Leighton Andrews:
    I welcome the additional investment in community radio that we put through in our budget in December, which I think that the last questioner voted against. May I tell you that, when I visited the Penrhys partnership 10 days ago, it was looking forward to the expansion of the community radio station GTFM to Penrhys and Treherbert? That will be a major development for the participation of ordinary people in community media in my constituency. GTFM plays a profoundly important local role in my community and that of my colleague, Jane Davidson, in Pontypridd, and it also has the excellent Cardiff City phone-in programme.

    The First Minister: I have not heard that, but given how Cardiff City is progressing at the moment, I am sure that there will be more and more phone-ins of that nature. It is important to remember that community radio serves communities of different kinds and we have to have a flexible system of applications to cover the different circumstances in which they do or do not get off the ground. Their funding will need to come from a wide variety of sources, including local authorities, the Objective 1 programme and its successor programme, convergence, CFAP, which I mentioned earlier, and Communities First, as well as from the £1 million special grant that was inserted into the budget.

    Rhondda TV
    The Labour Party

    Recent comments

    Archives...

    Categories...

    Promoted by Leighton Andrews AM, National Assembly for Wales, Cardiff CF99 1NA.

    Author's editorial policy: This blog does not publish anonymous comments, unless they are really witty and I like them. If you have something to say, then have the courage of your convictions and use your name or an identifiable alias. Even then I reserve the right not to publish comments that are malicious, defamatory, stupid, pointlessly cynical or boring. Any of the statements or comments made above should be regarded as personal and not necessarily those of the National Assembly for Wales, any constituent part or connected body.