Home | About Leighton | Rhondda map | Rhondda links | Advice surgeries | Get in touch | Cymraeg

Leighton's Updates

Leighton
    follow me on Twitter

    24 February, 2005

    George Bush goes shopping

    I just loved the intro to this article by Thomas Friedman in the NY Times today.

    I have just one question about President Bush's trip to Europe: Did he and Laura go shopping?

    If they did, I would love to have been a fly on the wall when Laura must have said to George: "George, do you remember how much these Belgian chocolates cost when we were here four years ago? This box of mints was $10. Now it's $15? What happened to the dollar, George? Why is the euro worth so much more now, honey? Didn't Rummy say Europe was old? If we didn't have Air Force One, we never could have afforded this trip on your salary!"


    I might get to the States this autumn, so speaking selfishly I hope Bush's crazy economic policies last till then.

    Friedman spells it out:

    The dollar is falling! The dollar is falling! But the Bush team has basically told the world that unless the markets make the falling dollar into a full-blown New York Stock Exchange crisis and trade war, it is not going to raise taxes, cut spending or reduce oil consumption in ways that could really shrink our budget and trade deficits and reverse the dollar's slide.

    2 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    You're right that you blog about many things other than politics. It's good that you update regularly, particularly about a variety of subjects. I do love blogs that make an effort to update their content in order to make readers keep coming back for more.

    However, keeping a blog frequently updated can eat up your spare time. You have to be careful that you don't let it take over your life. I spend far too much time on my blog, but the rewards always seem to make up for it.

    I will be adding your blog to my frequently read list!

    Leighton Andrews said...

    I couldn't agree more. But if I spent too long here my constituents, my wife, and the kids would rightly complain! And not necessarily in that order!

    Rhondda TV
    The Labour Party

    Recent comments

    Archives...

    Categories...

    Promoted by Leighton Andrews AM, National Assembly for Wales, Cardiff CF99 1NA.

    Author's editorial policy: This blog does not publish anonymous comments, unless they are really witty and I like them. If you have something to say, then have the courage of your convictions and use your name or an identifiable alias. Even then I reserve the right not to publish comments that are malicious, defamatory, stupid, pointlessly cynical or boring. Any of the statements or comments made above should be regarded as personal and not necessarily those of the National Assembly for Wales, any constituent part or connected body.