Home | About Leighton | Rhondda map | Rhondda links | Advice surgeries | Get in touch | Cymraeg

Leighton's Updates

Leighton
    follow me on Twitter

    04 March, 2005

    Time for Cardiff City to come clean

    I am a Cardiff City season ticket-holder. I first saw City play in the 1967-68 season. I saw us beat Torpedo Moscow in the Quarter-finals of the old European Cup-winners Cup, then lose to SV Hamburg in the Semi-Finals. I will be there tomorrow to see us play against Sheffield United.

    I pay for my own season-ticket. I have never met Sam Hammam. I have been grateful for the investment he has put into the club, and for the fact that we are now watching Championship football not Third Division ( old Fourth division as I think of it, even if it is now called League 2!).

    But like all other fans I feel shell-shocked after this week's events. I am fed up with promises given one day being turned on their head the next.

    Yesterday the manager said there would be no players sold before the weekend. We woke up to the BBC saying Graham Kavanagh was going to Wigan, and later that was confirmed. The Echo has Sam 'denying that other players will be going'. Rumours are that Collins is going, and also others are being lined up.

    I have no doubt there are some sincere people behind the scenes trying to sort things out.

    But the truth is that it is no longer possible to believe anything that is being said from the Club.

    It is time for them to come clean with the fans on the true state of the accounts. No more bull, no more spin, no more playing for time. It's time to own up.

    The first thing they should do is stop saying things that they must know will be disproved within hours of them being said.

    The second thing they need to do is come clean on the full extent of the club's problems.

    The club needs credibility. The fans need clarity.

    As I write (16.10) there is a board meeting going on at Ninian Park. We are promised more later. It had better be straight, sober and clear.

    No comments:

    Rhondda TV
    The Labour Party

    Recent comments

    Archives...

    Categories...

    Promoted by Leighton Andrews AM, National Assembly for Wales, Cardiff CF99 1NA.

    Author's editorial policy: This blog does not publish anonymous comments, unless they are really witty and I like them. If you have something to say, then have the courage of your convictions and use your name or an identifiable alias. Even then I reserve the right not to publish comments that are malicious, defamatory, stupid, pointlessly cynical or boring. Any of the statements or comments made above should be regarded as personal and not necessarily those of the National Assembly for Wales, any constituent part or connected body.